Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Reliable Soup

I make this soup about once a week, relying on its deliciousness, ease, large yield, clean ingredients, and the fact that I can keep all the ingredients on hand--something that's hard to do when you eat mostly poultry and fish and fresh vegetables.

*Reliable Soup*

In a large stockpot drizzle a good amount of olive oil.
Heat it up, then add 1 package frozen mirepoix mix.
Saute for a few minutes, then squeeze in a fresh garlic clove.
Add a package of ground turkey, and continue to sauté and stir until the meat is cooked through.

Add a box of good chicken broth, or (preferably) some homemade broth from your stash.
Stir in some kind of tomato--I prefer my homemade and frozen stewed tomatoes, but a can of stewed tomatoes or diced tomatoes of any kind will also work.

Bring to a boil, and season with salt and pepper.
Now you'll start adding vegetables, keeping the soup covered and simmering gently. All of this can be done ahead of time and the soup can sit (a good thing), but I'm giving the amount of time the veggies need to cook in the pot.

Add a bag of chopped frozen okra at least an hour before serving time.
Thirty minutes before you want to eat, add a bag of frozen green beans.
Twenty minutes til, add a small thinly sliced cabbage.
Ten minutes til, add a few sliced zucchini (optional but good).

Maybe it's just us and our super clean palates :) but we all really love this soup. For those who eat dairy, a cheese plate is a nice accompaniment. Otherwise, you're successfully dairy-free, gluten-free, grain-free, low-carb, and red-meat free. Whew.

6 comments:

Rebecca said...

I wish I could do more soups. They're my favorite meal, but hubby doesn't feel like he's eaten if we just have soup. He considers it an appetizer or side dish.

K. Anne said...

I am so excited that you are sharing some of your recipes detailing the way you are eating now! It is a great help to those of us trying to do the same; keep them coming, please! Thanks so much.

lisa said...

This sounds yummy! I make a version where I just dump in a bag of frozen vegetables, and whatever vegetables I have left in the fridge :) but the rest of the basic ingredients are the same! Isn't it nice to have a recipe that's memorized and has easy ingredients? Thanks for sharing!

jenny_o said...

In the colder weather here (so, for about six months) I make a similar weekly soup, except my basics are carrots, turnip, celery, onion, potatoes, sweet potatoes and canned or boxed broth. This takes the place of green salads in our meals. I think the carrots and potatoes are higher in carbs? but we have no restrictions in that regard. I wouldn't enjoy trying to find meals to cover all the dietary needs in your family, but you seem to be doing a fantastic job!

Cheryl said...

I made Reliable soup last night for supper. My husband is still raving about it...he even took some to work today for lunch. Many thanks for sharing the recipe!

Chelsea said...

Thank you - my whole family loved this recipe!!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails