Wednesday, February 08, 2012

Chocolate-Hazelnut Ice Cream

•Chocolate-Hazelnut Ice Cream•

In a 300 degree oven, toast 1 cup hazelnuts on a cookie sheet, for about ten minutes, stirring once or twice, and keeping a close eye on them. When they smell toasty, and haven't burned, tip them out on a dishtowel and let them cool for a few minutes, then rub them briskly in the towel until the loose skins fall off. Ignore the skins that are stuck on, and roughly chop the nuts and set them aside.

In a medium bowl, whisk together :
1 cup milk
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup hazelnut syrup (from the coffee aisle at the grocery store)
until the sugar is dissolved.

Gently mix in:
2 cups heavy cream

Freeze in any maker (I use my countertop Cuisinart machine). At the last minute, drop the chopped nuts into the ice cream and get them mixed in. Decant into a cold bowl, large enough to stir around in.

Get out the jar of Nutella and drop several spoonfuls into the ice cream. Stir gently and quickly to get it somewhat streaked around. It will want to stay in blobs when it gets cold, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

More melted Nutella can be added at serving time, if you feel like going overboard.

8 comments:

Aimee said...

This sounds decadent! It is going on my list of recipes to try. Thank you for sharing.

Autumn said...

This sounds delicious!

Sanders said...

I wish for a picture on this post - so I could pin (on pinterest) this recipe!! Sounds delicious! :O)

~katie~ said...

Y.U.M.!

I was just reading about some scary ingredients in commercially prepared ice cream and was wondering if I could ever tackle making some homemade. What timely inspiration! :)

ktquilts said...

Does it get better than chocolate and hazelnuts? I imagine this is amazing.

Sarah said...

Anything with nutella has to be amazing. I love your suggestion at the end to heat nutella and drizzle it over ice cream - that would be delicious over most flavors of ice cream!

Rye said...

Looks Delish!

Plogette said...

Oh boy! You do challenge me to try this cooking thing. I've never been great at it, but it sounds worth the chance!

Related Posts with Thumbnails