Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Borrowing the Goats


This weekend I asked my neighbor Phyllis for the loan of a couple of goats. She was glad to off-load two of her neutered teenage males for as looong as I want them.


I've got them in the vegetable garden, which is over for the season. They're eating everything up for me--Johnson grass, Bermuda grass, dead tomato plants--and efficiently turning it into manure. Thank you, goats.


Now, they hate rain, so with showers in the forecast they got a ride home for the night in Phyllis' husband's VW bus. As he chased them around the garden he remarked that two goats can sure make a person look dumb.


They'll be back with the sun, in a couple of days. It feels good to have farm animals around, especially ones with their own chauffeur.

11 comments:

Cheryl said...

Would one of these be the pie-eating goat? ;-)

Rose said...

Will Phyllis's husband let me jump in the truck too? :)

Anna said...

No, Cheryl, that's Lester, the functioning male goat! These two are his underlings.

Anonymous said...

"As he chased them around the garden he remarked that two goats can sure make a person look dumb."

Thanks -- now I've got coffee all over my keyboard.:)

Karen said...

Ha! I love it! Our next door neighbor has an old goat (with big horns!) that wanders around our yard all day long. He's eating up tons of stuff, too. Funny story--when we moved here in June, he was walking across the porch, so I noticed his chain was broken and I went to get him and take him home. Except he would have none of it. I would get just a few feet away and he would run and stop. I tried about 4 times, then decided I looked pretty stupid. :oD

Erin said...

Oh, this would make fall so much easier! Darn city ordinances!

Davene Grace said...

I, too, laughed at the "two goats can sure make a person look dumb" line. We had two goats in our pasture that we sold a month or two ago. It was absolutely hilarious watching my husband, a friend of ours, the man who was buying the goats, and his brother try to catch those rascals. Four men against two goats. The goats *almost* won. ;-)

Good, free country entertainment... :)

Kate said...

We used to have a goat when I was young. "Buckwheat" was his name, but we called him "Buckey" for short. He was VERY mischievous.....and would get himself into all kinds of impossible predicaments. Your post made me smile, and brough back many happy memories!

~Kate

Anonymous said...

Farm animals having their own chauffeur made me giggle.--Thank you! ;o)

Mac an Rothaich said...

Brilliant and resourceful! I grew up on a goat farm and get so much joy from these clever little animals!

Lisa said...

You are so enterprising!

Related Posts with Thumbnails