Monday, October 16, 2006

Hot Cider

I was surprised to see the enthusiasm that greeted my urn of hot cider at our party. It wasn't that cold outside or in, but apparently the fragrance of cinnamon and cloves is irresistable this time of year.

Hot cider can be a big production, with different fruit juices mixed together, spices measured, cheesecloth sachets, etc. I kept things very *very* simple and poured a big jug of apple juice into my (clean) coffee urn, then dumped in about 1/4 c. of sugar--I only had white, though I would have preferred brown. I added a tablespoon or so of cinnamon, a good shake of cloves, and plugged it in without the percolator basket.

It was so convenient--nothing to dip out or pour, just the handy little lever that makes it fun to get a hot drink. I rarely make an urn of coffee, but I think an ongoing urn of cider this winter would be very popular!

4 comments:

Heather Anne said...

I have a perk that is just for hot cider - I think it was my graandmothers, or I might have picked it up at a yard sale, I just forget now, but it is only for cider. As you say it is very popular - after a hay ride, or a harvest moonlight walk, or when we come home from cutting our Christmas tree, or at our annual Christmas open house - all times when cider has been enjoyed at our home. We fill our freezer with gallon jugs of fresh pressed cider at this time of year and ration them out over the winter. I like your idea of apple juice and think I will try that too!

Anonymous said...

Did you get a coffee taste (residue) intially from using a coffee urn, or is it relatively new? Our coffee urn is used so much (as are our thermoses) that everything we put in smells, reeks of coffee.

Anonymous said...

Dear Anna,
Oh I really like cider!
I thought I would comment on your blog for the first time.
I would like to tell you that your blog means so much to me! I read it every day. You and your beautiful family are so artistic. I really like your pretty photography and discriptions. You inspired me to read some Grace Livingston Hill books and I can't stop! I also like Hanna Anderson clothes and I love Cath Kidston!! I am not married or a mother yet but you have really inspired me. Thanks!
Skye

Heather Anne said...

My coffee perk had been well used but I scrubbed it with baking soda and that got rid of the stains and than ran a cycle of vinegar and that got rid of the smell. I used to do this monthly with the coffee perks at church - one of the fun jobs that no one but the pastor's wife can do I guess!

Related Posts with Thumbnails