Saturday, September 03, 2005

Schoolhouse Whole Wheat Bread

I have been making this bread once a week for about twelve years now. Good days come and good days go, but a fresh loaf of bread is always a blessing.

Schoolhouse Whole Wheat Bread:

(Note: I make this with my Whisper Mill Grain Grinder and my Bosch mixer, investments which have paid for themselves many times over. Without these, you may want to make up half the dough at a time for ease in kneading, and use storebought flour: variation follows).

12 cups whole wheat flour
2 cups unbleached white flour
5 cups warm water
4 t. salt
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup oil
3 T. yeast

Knead until dough is soft and cohesive. Let rise for about 90 minutes, until about double in bulk. Divide into fourths, shape into loaves, and allow to rise again in greased 8-inch bread pans. Bake at 375˚ for half an hour.

If using storebought flour, use 7 cups white and 7 cups wheat, or your loaf will be a brick.

4 comments:

Eva Charles said...

How would you adjust the recipe to make half (2 loaves)? There are only 2 and 1/2 people (little Alex is eating adult food now) in our family right now. Thanks.

Becky @ BoysRuleMyLife said...

Great recipe! I halved it and used your suggestion for half white/half wheat. It turned out great! I would like to copy your recipe to my blog and link it back to your's. Would that be ok with you? I am creating a new blog to hold my new dairy free recipes. Thanks!
Becky
www.mustfollowrecipes.blogspot.com

Mommy said...

Thanks for sharing this wonderful recipe! My two eldest girls and I made a loaf this morning for Home Ec as part of our homeschooling day. Blessings!

Baptist Acre said...

This is my favorite recipe. Make about once a week varying it with oat flour, wheat flour, all white bread flour or add egg. I cut it in half & make two loaves. It turns out wonderful no matter how I change it. Glad I found your recipe several years ago :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails